41 High Street Flitton
41 High Street from the south-east February 2011
41 High Street is a delightful cottage standing on its own on the north side of the High Street. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century
The cottage has a timber-framed construction with colourwashed roughcast render and at thatched roof. The cottage originally consisted of two downstairs rooms and bed spaces in the attics. It was previously two dwelling each with just a single room downstairs. The porch belongs to the 20th century.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Flitton, in 1927, found the cottage owned by Charles Brightman and occupied by S. Page who paid rent of £8 per annum [DV1/C270/49]. Accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs, a washhouse (probably a modern extention at the rear) and three bedrooms in the roof. The valuer noted "used to be two".
41 High Street from the south-west February 2011