The Old House Eggington
The Waylands in 1983 [Z50/42/12]
The Old House, formerly called The Waylands, was listed by the former Department of Environment in September 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the late 17th century and is constructed by blue brick with red brick dressings. It comprises two storeys beneath an old clay tile roof
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C174/60-62] found it owned by H. Edwards, a local builder. The property was divided into three and the rearmost portion was occupied by Charles Munday whose rent was 2/6 per week, which included a brick, stone and slated two bay open shed, a corrugated iron lean-to shed and a weather-boarded and tiled stable for three horses on adjoining land – Munday was a market gardener. His accommodation comprised a living room and a scullery with two bedrooms above “all used store”. A brick and tiled barn stood outside.
The central portion of the building was in the occupation of Miss T. Munday, whose rent was also 2/6 per week. She had a living room and scullery downstairs with three bedrooms (“two small”) above. A brick and tiled barn stood outside. The valuer commented: “Not too good” and “bad slope of roof at back”.
The front of the building was tenanted by W. Leach who also paid rent of 2/6 per week. His accommodation comprised a living room and a scullery with two bedrooms above. Again, a brick and tiled barn stood outside. Once more the valuer commented: “Not too good” whereas another hand has written “but bigger and no slope”. A third hand has commented: “Big but awkward”.
The Old House January 2013