Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Eggington > Olde Timbers Eggington

Olde Timbers Eggington

Olde Timbers from the south-west January 2013
Old Timbers from the south-west January 2013

The appropriately named Olde Timbers was listed by the former Department of Environment in September 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century and is timber-framed with plaster infill and comprises two storeys beneath a clay tiled roof. The porch is modern.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage now called Olde Timbers [DV1/C174/27-29] found that it was then a terrace of three dwellings, owned by H. Sear.

The westernmost part of the cottage was occupied by F. H. Fooks, whose rent was three shillings per week. His accommodation comprised a kitchen and lean-to scullery with two bedrooms above. There was also an attic over the scullery. A brick and corrugated iron shed stood outside as well as a corrugated iron shed which as “falling down”. The valuer commented that the accommodation had been partly rebuilt.

The central accommodation was in the occupation of W. Fuller whose rent was also three shillings and whose accommodation comprised a kitchen, a scullery and one bedroom above the scullery. A brick and corrugated iron shed stood outside. The valuer commented: “Old”.

The easternmost portion of the structure was tenanted by A. Nash whose rent was 1/9 per week, having been 1/3 before the Great War. Even though this was higher than his neighbours accommodation was still only a kitchen and a scullery downstairs with one bedroom above, though there was another above the scullery. Again, a brick and corrugated iron shed stood outside.