Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Eggington > Manor Cottage Eggington

Manor Cottage Eggington

Manor Cottage January 2013
Manor Cottage January 2013

Manor Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in September 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 18th century and is built of red brick. It comprises one storey and attics beneath a thatched roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Manor Cottage [DV1/C174/67] found it owned by Mrs. H. Sear and occupied by W. Turner whose rent was three shillings per week.

The cottage comprised a parlour, a living room, a kitchen and a scullery downstairs with three bedrooms in the attics. Outside stood a lean-to brick and tiled and part corrugated iron barn. The valuer commented that the cottage was: “very old”.