Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Wyboston > Heddings Farm Wyboston

Heddings Farm Wyboston

Heddings Farmhouse March 2010
Heddings Farmhouse March 2010

Heddings Farmhouse was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the farmhouse to about 1700, noting that it was refaced in the early 19th century.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country should be assessed to determine their rateable value. Wyboston was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Heddings Farm [DV1/H57/26] noted that it was owned and occupied by John Walter Addington who farmed forty two acres. The valuer commented: "Saw Mr. Jarvis, Foreman, said Building small, no good road to fields". The valuer himself commented: "Nice house, Buildings wood and some thatch. Expensive".

The farmhouse comprised two reception room, a kitchen, washhouse and parlour downstairs with three bedrooms and two boxrooms above. Water came from a well in the yard. Another hand has annotated this to the effect that the upstairs later comprised four bedrooms, a bathroom and a w. c. He also noted: "Farm about 300 acres".

The homestead comprised the following:

  • A rick yard;
  • A wood and tiled three bay cart shed;
  • A trap house;
  • A brick, wood and thatched barn with a brick floor;
  • A corrugated iron food store;
  • A wood and thatched two bay hovel;
  • Two brick, wood, corrugated iron and tiled pigsties;
  • Two more pigsties;
  • Two more brick, wood and tiled pigsties.

Another hand has added a wood and thatch barn and a brick and tiled range comprising two pigsties, three horse boxes and a store.

Alterations were carried out in 1947 by the owner R. S. Maudlin, who also owned Forty Farm [RDBP3/787]. In 1990 plans to create a craft centre in the outbuildings were drawn up [BorBTP/90/1585]. These were modified in 1991 [BorBTP/91/0256/LB]. Also in 1991 minor alterations were to be carried out to the outbuildings to form a swimming pool and ancillary rooms [BorBTP/91/0676/LB].