Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Stanbridge > Bluegate Farm Stanbridge

Bluegate Farm Stanbridge

Bluegate Farm December 2008
Bluegate Farm December 2008

The modern Bluegate Farm is the site of the late medieval Manor of Stanbridge Morrells. In actual fact it would be more correct to call it a sub-manor, as it was held of the Manor of Stanbridge. The sub-manor was first recorded in 1446 and last in 1799. The Bluegate Farm buildings are nowhere near as old as 1446, however!

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 ordered every piece of land and building in the country to be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Stanbridge was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Bluegate Farm [DV1/H28/26] noted that it was owned and occupied by Mrs.A.Edwins and contained 65½ acres. The house, he noted, had no water laid on but was a "Big good house" constructed of brick and tile and containing two reception rooms, two kitchens and a pantry downstairs with four bedrooms and a box room above. Outside were a dairy ("poor") and a brick, weather boarded and corrugated iron work shed.

The homestead comprised: a brick and tile loose box and stable for four; a mixing place; a cow house for six beasts, a corrugated iron roofed lean-to implement shed; a brick and tile cow house for seven beasts; a loose box; a barn and two piggeries with a loft over.

Kelly's Directories reveal the following farmers, the dates being simply the first and last dates they are mentioned in the directory:

  • 1903: John Edwins and Thomas Gadsden;
  • 1910: Arthur John Edwins;
  • 1914-1940: Annie Edwins.