2 Blunham Road Mogerhanger
2 Blunham Road - Old Forge Cottage - August 2009
This attractive cottage stands at the east side of Blunham Road at its junction with Bedford Road. The cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the building to the 17th century. It has the usual local pattern of a timber frame covered by colourwashed roughcast externally and a thatched roof. It had three rooms downstairs with bedrooms in the attics. There are 20th century lean-to extensions to both north and east elevations.
The Rating and Valuation Act of 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country should be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Blunham was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 2 Blunham Road [DV1/C216/47-48] noted that it was then two dwellings, both owned by T. and C. Gurney (Thomas Gurney was a market gardener in Blunham). The western section was leased by F. Pettifer at £6 per annum, set in 1925. He had the simplest of accommodation - a living room downstairs and a bedroom above, though there was also a barn outside. The valuer opined: "Very Low. Poor old Place". As usual for older properties in Mogerhanger, water came from an outside tap.
The eastern section was larger, having a living room and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. Again a barn stood outside. The valuer made the same negative comments of this end as he did the other. The accommodation was leased by J. Craft for £6/15/- per annum, set in 1925.
The modern name for this cottage is Old Forge Cottage. Presumably the deeds for the property (not held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service) indicate that a previous owner or occupier was a smith.