Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Flitwick > Station Garage Flitwick

Station Garage Flitwick

 Station Garage September 2017
Station Garage September 2017

There is still [2017] a garage in King’s Road - a Vauxhall dealership under the name W J Billington. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the garage [DV1/C130/130] found that it was, indeed, owned and occupied by William Jesse Billington.

The garage had five petrol pumps (“all hold 500 gallons”). The repair shop measured 20 feet by 40 feet (“poor”) and had an inspection pit. It was built of brick, weather-boarding, asbestos and tile. There was also a brick, weather-boarded and tiled garage and four lock-ups with earth floors.