19 Station Road Flitwick
19 Station Road September 2017
19 Station Road has been a shop for its entire history. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 19 Station Road [DV1/C130/133] found that it was owned and occupied by market gardener William Short, who ran a greengrocer’s business from the shop.
The property was built of brick and asbestos tiles. It comprised a shop measuring 12 feet square, and also two reception rooms, a combined kitchen and scullery and upstairs had four bedrooms and a bathroom. There was a coal house outside. The property had been built in 1923; the valuer commented: “New but cheaply built, cannot get a living from shop”.
At the time of writing  the property is still a shop. It is now an ironmonger called D and G Short and so, evidently, still in the ownership of the same family which built it.