Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Flitwick > Ruxox Chapel

Ruxox Chapel

Ruxox Chapel was founded by Philip de Saunerville in the time of Robert de Chesney, Bishop of Lincoln (1148-1166); the chapel, together with a cemetery, was consecrated in honour of God and the Blessed Nicholas by Godfrey, who had been a Bishop of St.Asaph until 1165 and who was in charge of the see of Lincoln between 1168 and 1173. Gilbert de Saunerville, son of Philip, who married a daughter of Hugh Gubion intruded a certain priest, Edgar. In the reign of Henry II (1135-1189) the chapel was given to Dunstable Priory by William, son of Fulk and Osmote, his wife, with the consent of Alexander, son of Gerald and Adelize his wife [Fasti/4/FlkRux].

Volume III of The Victoria County History for Bedfordshire was published in 1912. It has the following information on Ruxox Chapel: “The house at Ruxox was used by the priory as a residence for priors who had resigned, and the last reference to it as a monastic institution was in 1290 when Stephen, chaplain of Flitwick, died and was buried there. Ruxox was included in the thirty years lease of Dunstable property to Robert Hewet in 1537 on the condition of providing a roll of bread yearly at Ruxox at the feast of saint Nicholas. This estate, consisting of 56 acres, was assessed at 74 shillings at the Dissolution and was granted in 1558 to the West family as the Manor of Ruxox”. It seems reasonable to think that the chapel was at or near Ruxox Farm.