Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Bedford > Licensed Premises in Bedford

Licensed Premises in Bedford

Links in italics indicate that this is a former name of an inn, beerhouse or public house later using a different name.

We have only just started researching these pubs - there are many more to come!

The Anchor Public House, Goldington - 397 Goldington Road, one of Goldington's longest-lived pubs

The Angel Cauldwell Street Bedford - 12 Cauldwell Street - no longer standing, this pub was in existence for over 250 years

The Bear Public House - 92 High Street - a licensed premises since about 1831/32

The Bird in hand Public House, Brickhill - 117 Brickhill Drive, opened 1961, closed 2011, now [2017] a Tesco Local

The Black Diamond Public House Bedford - 67 Cauldwell Street - demolished to make way for the County Hall (now Borough Hall) building in the 1960s, this pub was built in 1871.

The Bluebell Public House, Brickhill - 115 Putnoe Lane, opened 1975

The Bricklayers Arms Beerhouse, Goldington - once part of a brickyard and long sicne demolished

The Century Public House, Goldington - opened 1977, demolished early 21st century

The Chequers High Street Bedford - 58 High Street - there were three Chequers pubs in Bedford recorded in Quarter Sessions records of 1751, the longest surviving of these closed in 1911.

The Crown Beerhouse, Goldington - closed and demolished around the 1950s

The Falstaff, Goldington - a conversion of Goldington Hall into a licensed premises, later renamed the Lincoln Arms

The Golden Eagle Public House Bedford - 34 Castle Lane - this was a pub from the 1850s until it was demolished in the 1970s.

The Golden Lion Public House, Goldington - closed and demolished in 2005

The Griffin Inn Cauldwell Street - 12 Cauldwell Street - the former name of The Angel.

The Haycock Beerhouse Bedford - 34 Cauldwell Street - a pub from 1836 until 1911.

The Lincoln Arms Public House, Goldington - Goldington Hall, brief sucecssor to the Falstaff

The Lion Hotel - 53 to 55 High Street - now The Litten Tree.

The Litten Tree Public House Bedford - 53 to 55 High Street - there has been a pub on this site for nearly 500 years!

The Pheasant Public House, Brickhill - 300 Kimbolton Road, opened 1982

The Ram Inn Bedford - 51 and probably part of 53 High Street - partially on the site now occupied by the Litten Tree, records of the Ram date from 1533.

The Red Lion Inn - 53 to 55 High Street - another incarnation of the pub on the site of The Litten Tree.

The Rose Public House Bedford - 45 High Street - one of the oldest surviving pubs in Bedford. Archives show it was a pub from before 1546.

The Ship Saint Cuthberts Bedford - 7 Saint Cuthbert's Street -a fascinating building which has aroused arguments over the years as to the origins of its foundations. First mentioned as a pub in 1765, the tennis lawn behind the building was the site of a murder in 1883.

The Sportsman Public House, Goldington - 58 The Boundary, opened in 1955

The Swan Inn, Goldington - 403 Goldington Road, Goldington's longest-lived pub, made into a Toby Carvery in the 21st century

The Tiger Moth Public House, Brickhill - 20 Avon Drive, opened in 1965