Early Education in Mogerhanger
The west elevation of Blunham School [AD3865/8]
Volume 81 published by Bedfordshire Historical Records Society (2002) is a series of episcopal visitations undertaken in the first twenty years of the 18th century, edited by former County Archivist Patricia Bell. At each visitation a list of questions was sent out in advance, one of which enquired about the provision of schools in each parish.
At each visitation Mogerhanger was included under Blunham of which, at that date, it was a hamlet. There was no school in the parish in 1706, 1717 or 1720. A school in Blunham seems to have been in operation by at least 1750 and no doubt some, at least, of Mogerhanger's children attended it, as they did the later Blunham National School until Mogerhanger's own school was built.