Licensed Premises in Bedford
Links in italics indicate that this is a former name of an inn, beerhouse or public house later using a different name.
We have only just started researching these pubs - there are many more to come!
The Anchor Public House, Goldington - 397 Goldington Road, one of Goldington's longest-lived pubs
The Angel Cauldwell Street Bedford - 12 Cauldwell Street - no longer standing, this pub was in existence for over 250 years
The Bear Public House - 92 High Street - a licensed premises since about 1831/32
The Bird in hand Public House, Brickhill - 117 Brickhill Drive, opened 1961, closed 2011, now  a Tesco Local
The Black Diamond Public House Bedford - 67 Cauldwell Street - demolished to make way for the County Hall (now Borough Hall) building in the 1960s, this pub was built in 1871.
The Bluebell Public House, Brickhill - 115 Putnoe Lane, opened 1975
The Bricklayers Arms Beerhouse, Goldington - once part of a brickyard and long sicne demolished
The Century Public House, Goldington - opened 1977, demolished early 21st century
The Chequers High Street Bedford - 58 High Street - there were three Chequers pubs in Bedford recorded in Quarter Sessions records of 1751, the longest surviving of these closed in 1911.
The Crown Beerhouse, Goldington - closed and demolished around the 1950s
The Falstaff, Goldington - a conversion of Goldington Hall into a licensed premises, later renamed the Lincoln Arms
The Golden Eagle Public House Bedford - 34 Castle Lane - this was a pub from the 1850s until it was demolished in the 1970s.
The Golden Lion Public House, Goldington - closed and demolished in 2005
The Griffin Inn Cauldwell Street - 12 Cauldwell Street - the former name of The Angel.
The Haycock Beerhouse Bedford - 34 Cauldwell Street - a pub from 1836 until 1911.
The Lincoln Arms Public House, Goldington - Goldington Hall, brief sucecssor to the Falstaff
The Lion Hotel - 53 to 55 High Street - now The Litten Tree.
The Litten Tree Public House Bedford - 53 to 55 High Street - there has been a pub on this site for nearly 500 years!
The Pheasant Public House, Brickhill - 300 Kimbolton Road, opened 1982
The Ram Inn Bedford - 51 and probably part of 53 High Street - partially on the site now occupied by the Litten Tree, records of the Ram date from 1533.
The Red Lion Inn - 53 to 55 High Street - another incarnation of the pub on the site of The Litten Tree.
The Rose Public House Bedford - 45 High Street - one of the oldest surviving pubs in Bedford. Archives show it was a pub from before 1546.
The Ship Saint Cuthberts Bedford - 7 Saint Cuthbert's Street -a fascinating building which has aroused arguments over the years as to the origins of its foundations. First mentioned as a pub in 1765, the tennis lawn behind the building was the site of a murder in 1883.
The Sportsman Public House, Goldington - 58 The Boundary, opened in 1955
The Swan Inn, Goldington - 403 Goldington Road, Goldington's longest-lived pub, made into a Toby Carvery in the 21st century
The Tiger Moth Public House, Brickhill - 20 Avon Drive, opened in 1965