1 and 2 The Village Little Barford
1 and 2 Little Barford February 2010
Four pairs of attractive and comparatively modern houses greet one as one drives into Little Barford from the A428. The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website
. The entry for 1 and 2 The Village [HER 9898] states:“Pair of late 19th century estate cottages. Yellow brick with red brick dressings. Banded tile roof. One storey and attics, four gabled dormer windows; the right hand pair with diamond leaded casement windows, two ground floor canted bays. Large open timber porches”.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 1 and 2 The Village [DV1/C256/2-3] found them owned by Lord of the Manor Charles Edmund Argentine Alington. Number 1 was occupied by G. Sawyer who paid three shillings per week in rent and occupied a living room, kitchen and three bedrooms upstairs. A barn stood outside and a washhouse was shared with next door. The valuer commented: “Beds partly in roof”.
Number 2 was occupied by Joseph Brace. It was an off-licence called The Elm Tree.