Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Flitton > 37 and 39 High Street Flitton

37 and 39 High Street Flitton

37 and 39 High Street February 2011
37 and 39 High Street February 2011

37 and 39 High Street were listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property them to the 18th and 19th centuries and noted that they used to be a row of three.

The current structure may still be divided into three as follows:

  • The left-hand side: built of colourwashed render over a timber frame with a thatched roof and comprising one storey and attics;
  • The central section: red brick casing over a timber frame with a clay tiled roof and comprising one storey and attics;
  • The right-hand side: 19th century yellow brick construction with a slate roof and comprising two storeys.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property, on 13th July 1927, found it divided into two, just like today. Number 37 was owned by J. B. Jones and occupied by B. Jones who had a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms in the roof. The valuer noted: "Used to be two" and "Clipped yew".

Number 39 was owned and occupied by A. Horne and had a living room and a kitchen with two bedrooms in the attics. The valuer noted: Well in front".