High Street, Stotfold c.1902 [Z1306/115/3/10]
We have not yet been able to compile comprehensive history pages for Stotfold. If you would like to carry out research and contribute to this site we would be delighted to hear from you.
Stotfold is an ancient parish in the east of county, south of Biggleswade and on the border with Hertfordshire, and includes Brook End and Stotfold Green. Bedfordshire Archives holds many documents relating to the parish; a search of our online catalogue with Stotfold as the subject returns over 2,800 items. Significant collections for researching people or places in Stotfold include:
P83: Records for the parish of St Mary the Virgin, Stotfold, including: registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; records relating to church property; churchwardens’ accounts; records of overseers of the poor; charity records; parish magazines; parochial church council minutes
PCStotfold: Parish council records, including: minutes; financial records; documents relating to rights of way, allotments, development and other local matters
ABP/W: Wills proved in the Archdeaconry of Bedford, 1536-1857
QSR: Quarter Sessions Records for Bedfordshire from 1714-1900. A search combining Stotfold as the subject and QSR as the reference will find criminal cases in which the parish is mentioned.
MA88/1: Enclosure map for Stotfold, 1851
MA88/2: Pre-enclosure map of Stotfold, c.1848
MAT41/1: Tithe map for Stotfold, 1849
MB2/STT1: Records of Brook Street Methodist Church, Stotfold
- LF: Records of Fairfield Hospital (formerly Three Counties Asylum)
- SDStotRL: Records of Stotfold Endowed Boys School, later Stotfold Boys Primary, Stotfold County Primary and now Roecroft Lower School
- X108: Deeds relating to Stotfold Quaker Meeting House, 1677-1855
- X195: Manor court books of the manor of Stotfold 1698-1934
- X937: Stotfold Village Club minute books and accounts
- Z1116: Deeds relating to 70 Regents Street, property of Rectory Manor, cottages ex-Stotfold Manor
- Z50/115: Photographs of Stotfold
- Z1130/115: Postcards with pictures of Stotfold
- Z1306/115: Postcards with pictures of Stotfold
- Z1255: Photographs of Stotfold taken by Mr Cramp in 2006
Further details of these and other items relating to Stotfold can be found through our online catalogue. Our detailed collection guides give more information about the types of records we hold.
Other useful sources for information about Stotfold include:
The National Archives’ Manorial Documents Register lists all manorial documents known to survive for the manors of Stotfold Brayes, Stotfold Newnham and Stotfold Rectory.
Open Domesday lists one entry for Stotfold in the Domesday Book of 1086
- Local historian Bert Hyde also wrote a number of useful pamphlets: ‘A History of Stotfold Town Council - 100 years 1894-1994’, ‘Stotfold Water Mills’, ‘The Stotfold Riots’, ‘Stotfold Bury and four other Stotfold houses’, ‘Stotfold Pubs and Publicans’, ‘Stotfold Manor Farm & some memories of social history 1860s onwards’ (with Frank Hyde)
Copies of the parish registers listing baptisms, marriages and burials up to 1812 can be purchased from Bedfordshire Archives.
We offer an enquiry and research service, however this is limited to local history, properties and general subjects; we are no longer able to carry out genealogy research.