Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Colmworth > City Farm Colmworth

City Farm Colmworth

City Farmhouse September 2009
City Farmhouse September 2009

City Farmhouse was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The building dates from the 17th century. It is timber-framed with a pebbledash exterior and has a modern tiled roof. It is built in an L-shape and has 20th century extensions at the rear. It has a single storey with attics. A back-to-back hearth stands at the junction of the horizontal and vertical parts of the L with a red brick chimney stack above it.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting City Farmhouse [DV1/C180/61] noted that it was owned and occupied by H. King and comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen and scullery downstairs with three bedrooms above. The valuer commented: "Part of house used as Barn - very irregular - not measured".

King also owned just over fifteen acres of grass around the farmhouse. These included a weather boarded and tiled three bay cattle lodge, a weather boarded and corrugated iron shed, a corrugated iron shelter and a weather boarded and thatched shed standing in a small orchard.

Alterations were carried out to the property in 1979 [BorBTP/79/839].