Clapham Club April 2010
Clapham Social Club was established in 1880 by James Howard of Clapham Park. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the club [DV1/C276/44] noted that it stood in just under one third of an acre. The membership was 180 and “never more than 200”.
Inside was a large new club room measuring 27 feet by 26 feet, a smoking room measuring 12 feet 6 inches by 15 feet, a bar, a private living room and a scullery with two bedrooms upstairs. The valuer noted: “There is no Licence on this Club but a Tax of 3d in the pound is paid upon the amount of purchased excisable goods (includes tobacco) which is about £750-£800 annually”. Outside stood a wood hut (“small”). Overall the valuer commented: “Very good. Been added to recently”.