Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Billington > The Orchards Billington

The Orchards Billington

The Orchards December 2008
The Orchards December 2008

This building was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest, on 26th September 1980. It is late 17th or early 18th century and built of brick, with some darker headers at the right hand, the right hand gable end and centre part of front elevation being brick nogged, that is, with brick infill to a timber frame. The house has two storeys and an old tile roof. A 19th century extension of one bay has a chimney stack at the left hand side.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Billington, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the building [DV1/C19/84-86] found that it was then a row of three dwellings, all owned by John Scott of Manor Farm.

The left-hand dwelling was occupied by H. Lea, whose rent was nine shilling per month. Accommodation comprised a kitchen and living room combined and a pantry downstairs with two bedrooms above. A weather-boarded and tiled barn stood outside. The centre dwelling was in the occupation of J. Griffen, who paid rent of £21 per annum for a living room, a kitchen, a pantry and two large bedrooms above. The valuer noted: “30 pole garden opposite. Neglect, not big enough”. The right-hand side was lived in by Mrs. M. A. King who also paid £21 per annum for a living room downstairs and a bedroom above. A weather-boarded and tiled barn stood outside.