Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Billington > Baptists in Billington

Baptists in Billington

Volume 110 published by the Bedfordshire Historical Records Society in 1996 and edited by Edwin Welch contains registrations of Bedfordshire nonconformist meetings drawn from a number of sources. On 21st August 1798 Thomas Wake, teacher and Baptist minister at Lake Street Meeting in Leighton Buzzard, along with John Craggs, registered the house in Great Billington of another teacher, Zachary Whitehead (perhaps employed at Wake's school in the town) as a meeting house with the Archdeaconry of Bedford [ABN1/1 and 2/97]. The same three men also registered another building belonging to Whitehead in Leighton Buzzard on 2nd April 1799. This is the only reference held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service to a Baptist meeting in Billington.