33 Church Road April 2010 - the building nearest the camera is a modern addition
33 Church Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in May 1984 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to about 1600, with later 17th century alterations. The cottage is of timber framed construction with colour washed roughcast render and a thatched roof. Like 7, 21 and 39 Church Road it was originally single storeyed but a floor inserted in the 17th century to form one storey and attics. A block of one storey and attics block projects from rear. A single storeyed addition with a tiled roof stands at the south gable end and a substantial 20th century one storey and attic block lies to the north.
The cottage may have been built by a Lord of the Manor. Until 1731 the manor was owned by the Gostwick family, then the Dukes of Marlborough until 1779 when the manor was purchased by the Duke of Bedford. Alternatively the manorial estate may have bought the cottage at a later date.
In November 1903 then Lords of the Manor, George and James Keeble, put the Willington Manor Estate properties in the village up for sale by auction. The sale particulars [X403/3] included both 31 and 33 Church Road in the same lot – Lot 37 which reads as follows:
Three Stud and Thatched Cottages
East of Lot 36 [39 Church Road], Numbers 22, 23 and 24 with boarden tiled Hovels and Gardens, being part of Number 38 on the Ordnance Survey Plan and containing
2 roods 10 poles
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Willington, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 33 Church Road found it divided into two with one dwelling closest to the road and the other behind. Both were owned by Mark Young, who had bought part of the Willington Manor Estate in 1903.
The portion closest to the road, 22 The Village, was occupied by G. Emery who paid 8/8 per month in rent. Accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery with two bedrooms in the roof. A wooden barn stood outside.
The other part of the building, 23 The Village, was in the occupation of G. Battle who paid 2/2 per week in rent. Accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms in the roof. Again, a wooden barn stood outside.
In May 1948 Mark Young’s executors sold his properties in Willington at auction. The sale particulars [PK1/4/178] still included 31 and 33 Church Road in the same lot – Lot 24, which was described thus.
Built of Brick, Plaster and Thatch
Being 22, 23 and 24, CHURCH ROAD, WILLINGTON
In the occupation of Messrs. S. Norman and R. Theobald and Miss L. Smith
Numbers 22 and 23 each contain 2 Living Rooms, 2 Bedrooms, Barn and Earth Closet
Water is obtained from a Well in the garden
Number 24 contains 2 Living Rooms, Scullery, 2 Bedrooms, 2 Brick and Pantile Barns and Earth Closet.
Water is obtained from a Well in the Garden
The whole producing a
Rental of £21:10:0 per annum
}(the Landlord paying the Rates on Number 22. the tenants in Numbers 23 and 24)
The particulars are annotated to show that the lot realised £210, the reserve being £100. The purchaser was L. V. Davison.