Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Wyboston > The Community of Wyboston in General

The Community of Wyboston in General

The moat opposite the former Plough Public House March 2007
The moat opposite the former Plough Public House March 2007

Landscape

Naturally, the Great North Road, now the A1, has always dominated the village and has attracted a certain amount of commercial interests, most notably the golf course and the conference centre. The land is low -lying, on average between 65 and 70 feet above sea level, though the junction of The Lane and Roxton Road stands as high as 92 feet.

The underlying, or solid, geology is a mudstone known as Oxford Clay Formation. This was laid down between 154 and 164 million years ago in the warm, shallow seas of the Jurassic Period. Superficial geology overlies the solid geology and has been deposited in the last two million years. Along the river this superficial geology is an alluvium of sand, gravel, clay and silt with a similar mixture, called river terrace deposit, forming the soil of the village. A different mixture of the same ingredients, called head, lies west of Morris Walk.

Wyboston Chawston and Colesden Parish Council sign March 2010
Wyboston Chawston and Colesden Parish Council sign March 2010

Name

Wyboston was first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. The name means "Wigbeald's farm" and has undergone a number of variations over the years, first being recorded in its modern form in 1297:

  • Wiboldestone: 1086;
  • Wibaudeston: 1208;
  • Wybaldestone: 1220-1227;
  • Wibaldestone: 1220-1227;
  • Wiboldeston: 1227;
  • Wilboldeston: 1276;
  • Wybolston: 1488-1512;
  • Wiberson: c. 1750.

Entry in the Parish Constable's account book for 1704 [P5/9]
Entry in the Parish Constable's account book for 1704 [P5/9]

Administrative History

Wyboston was a hamlet of the ancient parish of Eaton Socon. However, in 1965 the town of Eaton Socon itself was transferred to Huntingdonshire (now Cambridgeshire) and Wyboston was transferred to the civil parish of Roxton which lies south-south-west of Wyboston. Then on 1st April 2007 Wyboston became part of a new civil parish of Wyboston, Chawston and Colesden. The census of 2011 gives the population of this new parish, combiend with the population of Little Barford, as being 936.