Moat Cottage Wyboston
Moat Cottage March 2010
Moat Cottage stands on the south side of The Lane, some distance from the road. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the house to the 17th century. It is built of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame, with a 20th century tiled roof. The property had two storeys and a lean-to addition to the west gable end. The 1799 inclosure map for Eaton Socon [MA20] shows Moat Cottage owned by Thomas Whetham.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country should be assessed to determine their rateable value. Wyboston was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Moat Cottage [DV1/A38/28] noted that it was owned by J. Wilkerson of Chawston Manor and occupied by W. Jarvis at a rent of three shillings per week and this was paid to Charles Maudlin, farmer, as he was Wilkerson's tenant at nearby Manor Farm, to which Moat Cottage was attached.
The property comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms above. The valuer noted that a neighbouring cottage comprising a living room and a bedroom was used as a store. Water came from a spring in an adjoining field. He also noted that Moat Cottage used to be two dwellings.