33 to 47 High Street Wyboston
33 to 47 High Street March 2010
This long row of eight terraced houses is quite a feature of the village. Originally they lay on the Great North Road but in the second half of the 20th century that road, the A1, was diverted and the cottages now stand in a road named High Street.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country should be assessed to determine their rateable value. Wyboston was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the row [DV1/C165/27-34] found that it was owned by someone called Hyde and was called Havelock Cottages.
Each cottage contained a living room and a kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. The valuer commented: "Well built row" and "Quite a good terrace, Gardens in front". Each tenant paid £6 per annum which the valuer considered a low rent. In 1927 the occupiers were:
- 33 High Street: Mrs J. Clarke;
- 35: A. Cox;
- 37: J. Darrington;
- 39: A. Cooper;
- 41: J. Flint;
- 43: F. Darrington;
- 45: C. Smith;
- 47: W. Walker.