Old Police House 70 Tilsworth Road Stanbridge
70 Tilsworth Road - the former police house March 2008
The Police House in Stanbridge was built on a piece of land, part of The Slough, which formerly belonged to Bury Farm. On 30th June 1950 this land was conveyed by the trustees of William Labrum, deceased, to Bedfordshire County Council for £25 [POE197/7]. Labrum had lived at Sandstones, Heath Road, Leighton Buzzard and had died on 7th August 1949.
The site of Stanbridge Police House in 1901
The plot measured 0.206 of an acre, being 60 feet wide east to west and 150 feet long north to south and forming part of Field Number 114 on the second edition Ordnance Survey map of 1901. On 7th July 1951 this site was exchanged by the council for a plot of the same dimensions immediately to the east, with Labrum's executors [POE197/8/1-4]. The house remained a police house for less than fifty years. On 28th June 1996 Bedfordshire Police Authority sold it and it is now a private house.
Bedfordshire Constabulary emblem on police house May 2008