Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Mogerhanger > The Live and Let Live Beerhouse Mogerhanger

The Live and Let Live Beerhouse Mogerhanger

Picture of the site of the Live and Let Live public house taken in November 2007
Site of the Live and Let Live November 2007

Live and Let Live beerhouse: Mogerhanger

In 1927 Bedfordshire was valued under the terms of the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every building and piece of land was valued to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting a building on the site of the present bungalow called ‘Dunromin’ just below site of old school, north of village on road toward Chalton, noted that it was a former beerhouse called the Live and Let Live. This is the only reference to a licensed premises in Mogerhanger other than the Guinea public house.

The valuer noted that the property was owned by T. G. Godman and occupied by W. G. Watts. It was a brick, wood, slate and thatch detached building standing on 0.197 acres and accommodation consisted of two parlours, a living room and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above; outside were a washhouse and barn as well as a wood and tile carpenter's shop (that being Watts' occupation) measuring 15ft by 12ft. The garden had six fruit trees; water was laid on to the scullery. It had clearly ceased to have a licence as the valuer noted: "Used to be Pub". He also noted: "Poor old place".

Sources:

  • DV1/C/219: rating valuation: 1927