Bridge Farm Mogerhanger
Bridge Farm October 2009
Bridge Farm stands at the extreme south-east of Mogerhanger parish. At this point the A603 is the parish boundary, Mogerhanger being north of the road and Northill south of it. The farm is very close to the River Ivel to the east, as the name suggests, which is the boundary with the parish of Sandy.
The farmhouse was listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated it to the 16th century with 19th century windows. In common with other older properties in the area the farmhouse has a timber framed construction with colourwashed roughcast render to the exterior; it also has a thatched roof. The building is an L-shape with one storey and bedrooms in the attics. It bears plaques stating "G. T. 1801", presumably references to improvements made by Lord of the Manor Godfrey Thornton in that year. The house has a 20th century lean-to extension to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act of 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country should be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Blunham was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Bridge Farm [DV1/H43/12] noted that it was owned by Mark Young, who owned considerable property in Willington, and tenanted by David Fuller, whom Kelly's Directory for 1928 notes was a market gardener; he paid £228 per annum rent. The farm comprised two fields totalling 43 acres 2 roods 20 poles.
The farmhouse had two reception rooms, a kitchen and scullery downstairs with three bedrooms and a bathroom above. A barn and coal cellar stood outside. The homestead comprised: a brick and tile washhouse; a wood and tile coachhouse and two bay cart shed; a wood and corrugated iron hen house; a wood and tile stable for four horses and wood barn; three brick and tile pigsties; a wood and tile hovel with an onion loft over; a wood and tile cowhouse for eight beasts; a wood and tile hovel; a wood and tile mixing barn and a wood and tile barn.