65 Saint Johns Road Mogerhanger
65 Saint John's Road October 2009
65 Saint John's Road is the former gardener's house belonging to Saint John's House. It stands a little back from the road on the east side behind a high hedge. The Rating and Valuation Act of 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country should be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Blunham was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Saint John's House [DV1/R47/74] noted that the gardener's house was built of brick and slate but did not, sadly, name the tenant at the time.
The house comprised a parlour, living room and scullery downstairs. Upstairs were three bedrooms and the valuer considered it "very good" noting that water was laid on; this at a time when many houses in the village had to get water from an outside tap. A small, heated lean-to greenhouse stood outside.