Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > LittleBarford > 3 And 4 The Village Little Barford

3 And 4 The Village Little Barford

3 and 4 Little Barford February 2010
3 and 4 Little Barford February 2010

Four pairs of attractive and comparatively modern houses greet one as one drives into Little Barford from the A428. The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for 3 and 4 The Village [HER 9900] reads: “Pair of Late 19th century Estate Cottages. Yellow brick with red brick dressings. Half-hipped banded tile roof. One storey and attics. Large central gabled dormer window with a two-light casement window with glazing bars and pointed arched top lights. Three ground floor casements flanked by open sided gabled porches”.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 3 and 4 The Village [DV1/C256/4-5] found them owned by Lord of the Manor Charles Edmund Argentine Alington.

Number 3 was occupied by F. Watts whose rent was paid by farmer Albert Topham of Lower Farm indicating that Watts worked for him. Number 4 was occupied by W. Jones who paid rent of three shillings per week. Both dwellings comprised a parlour, living room, kitchen and two bedrooms above. Each tenant had a barn and they shared a washhouse. The valuer noted that accommodation was bigger than 1 and 2 The Village but there were only two bedrooms as opposed to three in those homes.