52 High Street Flitwick
52 High Street April 2017
52 High Street is obviously older than the buildings around it. The house was listed by English Heritage in May 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing dates the property to the 17th century, albeit with a 19th century addition.
The original house is timber-framed with colour-washed brick infill. The front block, which is the later part, is simply colour-washed brick. The roof is composed of clay tiles. The building forms an L-shape with the 19th century wing facing the road and the 17th century wing to the south-east.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the house [DV1/C130/7] found that it was owned and occupied by William Baker. There were three reception rooms and a combined kitchen and scullery downstairs. There were three bedrooms upstairs and an earth closet outside.
Outbuildings included: a wood and slate stable with a loft over; a wood and slate open-fronted cart hovel; a wood and corrugated iron store shed and a very small sawbench (“very rarely used”). The valuer’s comment on the outbuildings was: “Neglect”. He also commented: “Very old house” and “Appearances deceptive, very poor at back”.