117 Station Road Flitwick
117 Station Road April 2017
117 Station Road stands well back from the road and belongs to an era before it. The cottage was listed by English Heritage in May 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing, which speculates that the house was originally a pair of cottages, dates the property to the 18th century. It is of timber-framed construction, with colour-washed roughcast render, though the south gable end has been rebuilt in brick. The roof is thatched and there are two storeys, the original cottage having two rooms upstairs and down. There is a modern garage at the right-hand side and a lean-to extension at the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C129/21] found that it was called Rose Cottage, owned by E Dix and occupied by W Kingham, whose rent was £7/16/- per annum.
Downstairs were a reception room, a living room and a washhouse. There were three bedrooms upstairs. Outside was a brick and tiled lean-to workshop, the valuer noting: “Tenant a decorator”. There was also a weather-boarded and tiled lean-to barn and earth closet.