Potsgrove and Sheep Lane in World War Two
For such a rural parish Potsgrove had a surprising amount of activity in World War Two. It had a which was part of the black propaganda broadcasting to Germany until more substantial studios were built in Milton Bryan.
In addition the parish, including Sheep End, suffered a number of small pieces of enemy action early in the war [WW2/AR/CO/2/2]. The likely reason for this is the fact that Potsgrove is just north of the Watling Street, the modern A5, the straight line of which would be a landmark for bomber crews heading north-west to the industrial Midlands and, no doubt, due to anti-aircraft fire or night fighters damaging the machine, simple mechanical failure or adverse weather conditions over the target some would have had to turn back short of their target, jettisoning their bombs before turning for home.
The first of these pieces of enemy action was on 25th September 1940 when a bomb fell at Hill Farm. It did not explode on impact but on the following day. On 3rd October another bomb was dropped which failed to explode, this time close to the A5. Ten days later three high explosive bombs fell on Hockliffe, along the road to Woburn. Yet another unexploded bomb was found at Potsgrove which was thought to be from the same stick. It was duly dealt with. The following day yet another bomb which failed to explode fell one hundred yards north of the junction of Sheep Lane with the A5 near Wood Cottage.
Twice more Potsgrove was the scene of enemy action. On 13th November 1940 one oil bomb and two high explosive devices were dropped at Wood Cottage. This was the day before the infamous Coventry Blitz, which killed nearly six hundred people. As with all these raids there were no casualties in Potsgrove. Three days later a high explosive bomb fell near the Fox and Hounds Public House.