Potsgrove and Sheep Lane Before 1086
The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. Like a number of places in the area, such as Milton Bryan and Aspley Guise there seems to be little or no evidence of prehistoric or Roman settlement in Potsgrove. The latter is surprising considering that the A5, the Roman road called Watling Street by the Anglo-Saxons, which ran from London to Anglesey forms the southern boundary of the parish.
The only possible prehistoric feature [HER 3199] is a cropmark south of Bushycommon Wood and north of the A5 which may be prehistoric. Field walking or excavation would be necessary to prove or disprove this hypothesis.