Cottages at Potsgrove Turn
The former houses at Potsgrove Turn on the 1925 rating valuation map [DV2/B26B]
A row of cottages was built in Sheep Lane on the junction with the road to Potsgrove village in the 19th century and survived well into the 20th. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the houses at Potsgrove Turn [DV1/C132/15-20] found that the six properties were owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company. The details (running north-south) were as follows:
- 14 Sheep Lane (as it was then numbered) was occupied by John Robinson at a rent of 19/6 per quarter for two living rooms, a parlour and a scullery downstairs with four bedrooms above and an earth closet outside.
- 13 Sheep Lane was in the occupation of F. Field whose rent was 19/6 per quarter for a living room, a parlour, two pantries and four bedrooms above. Water came from a pump on the road;
- 11 Sheep Lane was tenanted by G. E. Elkington at a rent of 19/6 per quarter. Accommodation comprised a parlour, two living rooms and a scullery with four bedrooms above. An earth closet stood outside;
- 9 Sheep Lane was occupied by G. King at a rent of 19/6 per quarter for a living room, a parlour, a scullery and four bedrooms with an earth closet outside. Water came from a pump;
- 8 Sheep Lane was in the occupation of H. Woolhead whose rent was 16/3 per quarter. Accommodation was two reception rooms, a kitchen and a parlour downstairs with three bedrooms above;
- 6 Sheep Lane was leased by G. Lashbury whose rent was 1/6 per week. His accommodation consisted of a living room, a parlour, a kitchen and scullery and three bedrooms above.