Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Salford > College Cottages Salford

College Cottages Salford

College Cottages January 2008
College Cottages January 2008

College Cottages stand some way back from Wavendon Road just west of the Swan Public House. The property was listed by the former Department of Environment in February 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the former row of cottages to about 1700. The building is of timber-framed construction, partly weather-boarded and partly with plaster infill. It has a half-hipped thatched roof. There is a single storey brick and thatched addition to the left hand gable end.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like much of the county, Salford was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting College Cottages [DV1/C57/42-44] found that they were still a row of three dwellings. The property was owned by the Lord of the Manor which, since the mid 15th century had been All Souls College, Oxford and the tenants were (going west to east) Charles White, Ruben Britten and John Boon, each of whom paid an annual rent of £4/6/-.

Each dwelling comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. In addition Charles White had a washhouse downstairs whilst Ruben Britten and John Boon each had a pantry. Each tenant had an earth closet outside and Britten and Boon also each had a coal barn.

The valuer commented: "weather-board and thatch. But good cottages for their type". Water came from a well and there was no electricity, the cottages being lighted by lamps. In 2000 a planning application was made for a single storey garden room at the rear [PCHulcote&Salford18/13].