Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Marston Moretaine > Marston Moretaine Primitive Methodist Church, Bedford Road

Marston Moretaine Primitive Methodist Church, Bedford Road

The Methodist Church located on Bedford Road in Marston Moretaine was originally Primitive Methodist. The first chapel on this site was built in 1849, as recorded by a date stone in the centre of the front gable [HER7896]. This original chapel was replaced by a new building in Bedford Road which opened in 1901. This church closed in 2013/14 and the building has since been demolished. The archives are held under reference MB2/MM1. 

In its early days Bedford Road Church was part of the Bedford Primitive Methodist circuit, subsequently moving to Bedford II Primitive (Cauldwell Street) circuit from1897-1942; Bedford South circuit 1942-1971; Bedford South and Ampthill circuit 1971-2011; and North Bedfordshire circuit from 2011 to closure. Some information about Bedford Road may be found in the records for these circuits. 

Records held by Bedfordshire Archives include:  

  • MB2/MM1/1/4759: Baptism register 1947-2009  

  • MB2/MM1/1/4756, 4758: Marriage registers 1957-2003 

  • MB2/MM1/2/4785-86: Church council minutes, 1977-2014 

  • MB2/MM1/15/4782-83: Trustee account books, 1900-1975 

  • SF38/30: Church End, Marston Moretaine. Sale of 2 freehold cottages, substantial building used as a Primitive Methodist chapel and about 60 lots of household furniture, 1873 

  • E/YM4/18/1: Marston Moretaine Methodist Youth Club, 1976-1982