Lower Roxhill Farm
Lower Roxhill Farm is situated in the north west of the parish of Marston Moretaine, south of Bedford Road near the junction with Roxhill Road and Beancroft Road. The farmhouse was listed in 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The settlement around the crossroads at Lower Roxhill is thought to be of medieval origin [Heritage Environment Record 16934], but the house dates from the 16th century, with 19th century additions. It is a timber framed structure, with infilling partly of red brick and partly of colourwashed plaster. Later additions are in mottled red brick. The roofs are of clay tile. There is a hall and a cross-wing (originally with two cross-wings), the cross-wing having been extended in the 19th century towards the road, with a matching gable block beside it within an angle. A 19th century one storey and attics block adjoins the building to the rear. There are a variety of windows, mostly 20th century 2 and 3-light casements with glazing bars, and with gabled dormer windows to the hall block. The front entrance is a 20th century gabled porch to the west wall of 19th century paired gables. The original cross-passage entrance has been blocked by 19th century front gables. There is a red brick multiple ridge chimney stack at the junction between the hall and the cross-wing [HER 5053].
In 1884 the tenancy of both Lower Roxhill Farm and Walnut Tree Farm passed from George Allen to George Brown [BMB4/1/9/75/1-4 and SF38/52]
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuation book compiled at this time shows that Lower Roxhill Farm extended to 103 acres and was owned and occupied by Richard Hill [DV1/H15/68]. There were no mains services, with water from a well, lamps for lighting and earth closet sanitation. The land was said to be very wet.