Lower Wood End Farm, Marston Moretaine
Lower Wood End Farm is located to the west of Marston Moretaine, separated from the village by the A421. The farmhouse was built in the 17th and 18th centuries with later additions, and is listed by Heritage England as Grade II, of special interest. It is of timber framed construction with colour washed roughcast render with some parts of the ground floor rebuilt in brick. The building is of two storeys built on an L-shaped plan, with the block to the south-east being the oldest. The windows are two and three-light casements throughout. Both the tile roof and the plank door to the northern block within the western angle date from the 20th century. There is a red brick multiple ridge chimney stack to the south-east block and a colourwashed integral gable end stack to the northern block. [Heritage Environment Record 5050]
A Valuation and sale of farming stock in 1899 indicates that the property was occupied by Clement Cooke [Cook] [references Z740/83/5-6].
In 1910 inventories and valuations appear to show the property passing from Clement Cooke to Frederick Gordon and the tenancy from EJ Stratford to J Keat [reference BMB4/1/14/18].
A sale catalogue dated 19 June 1948 shows Lower Wood End Farm’s 142 acres, house, woodlands and bungalow being sold at the direction of Mrs AM Keate. The tenants are listed as Mr F Thompson and Messrs GA and CE Rowe [reference BML10/46/4].