Chellington Fox Inn
This page was written by volunteer Pamela Hider
All that remains of this post-medieval inn is a site marked on several maps on the former main road running north-west from Bedford through Pavenham and Chellington to Harrold and beyond (eg. Jefferys map 1765 and the Chellington Estate map of 1798).
Chellington Fox on Jeffreys Map of 1765 to see a larger version please click on the image
After that it disappeared from maps, as the enclosure of 1806 created a new main road, the current one, and this marked the end both of the inn and the old village.
Just 100 metres west of the inn was Freer's Wood Farm and the remains of this building can still be seen today.
A document at Bedfordshire Archive and Record Service [TB175] dated 1760 refers to "a cottage in Chellington lately used as an alehouse under the name of "Chellington Fox, late in occupation of Richard Dix and then of Widow Lord...". Later, dated 1785, it refers to "Chellington Fox in occupation of Joseph Robinson".
An entry in the diary of the Reverend Benjamin Rogers, Vicar of Carlton [X185/1], dated 28 August 1729, refers to the Vicar of Odell, the Reverend Vere John Alston whilst riding his horse under the influence of drink - "coming into the road at Chellington Fox, his horse fell into a cart track, throwing Mr. Alston". Apparently, the next day he was fine and assured Mr. Rogers he had only drunk two bottles of wine!.
Licensees: note that this is not a complete list and that dates in italics are not necessarily beginning or end dates, merely the first/last date which can be confirmed from sources such as directories and deeds:
pre 1759 Richard Dix
1759 Widow Lord
1785 Joseph Robinson