Chellington Church Architecture
Chellington church from the south March 2009
The church of Saint Nicholas is a well-loved local landmark, standing proudly on a hill above the River Great Ouse. The building is constructed from coursed limestone rubble.
The chancel arch August 2012
The earliest parts of the church date from the 13th century. The two-bay chancel and the north and south aisles are in the Early English style. The north aisle has a doorway with dogtooth marking.
North and south arcade capitals August 2012
The four-bay nave was rebuilt in the 14th century. The north arcade is slightly earlier than its southern counterpart and dates from the years just after 1300. The chancel arch dates to the earlier part of the 14th century
The clerestory on the north side of the nave August 2012
The clerestory above both arcades is 15th century in the Perpendicular style. It has three windows on each side. The roof above was replaced in the 20th century.
Chellington church tower from the west March 2009
The west tower is of the same 14th century date as the nave. It has three stages and a spire known as a broach spire on top.
West tower arch August 2012