Willington Manor Farmhouse
The manor house on Gordon's map of 1736 [CRT120/113]
The Manor Farmhouse was listed by the former Department of Environment in May 1984 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the building’s origin to the early to mid 16th century, supporting the idea that it was built by Sir John Gostwick, some time after acquiring the Lordship of the Manor of Willington in 1529, to replace the old manor house. In an article for The Bedfordshire Magazine in 1995(Volume 25 page 20) Frank Godber revealed that Gostwick’s monogram had recently been discovered in an ancient timber carving at the house (see below).
The house has been rebuilt, refaced and added to in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. The original house was timber framed with brick infill (some timbering is still visible inside), with later work in red brick. The house has an old clay tile roof and two storeys in an L-plan. Some 19th century additions have two storeys and lie within the angle of the L, another has one storey and attics and liea to the north-east and another has one storey lying to the north-west. The substantial external chimney stack to the north-east gable and the gable itself are also possibly 16th century brickwork, except the top of the stack, which was rebuilt in the 20th century. The south-east elevation also retains some earlier brickwork with diaper patterning, but this is probably 17th century.
At the same date the garden wall was listed as Grade II. It includes some remains of the former manor house and is 17th century, with one 18th century section altered in the 19th century. The south-west section, in red brick with diaper patterning in vitrified bricks, is about 40 metres long and stands about one metre high. It includes two fireplaces (blocked with apparently earlier, possibly 16th century, brick) indicating that this was the north-east elevation of part of the earlier, pre-Gostwick, manor house. The extent of the walls certainly shows that Gostwick's manor house was two or three times the size of today's building, as one might expect with a person who trod the national stage. Folklore in Willington is that the majority of these buildings either burned or were pulled down [CRT130Willington9].
Following its erection the house remained the manor house to the Manor of Willington and thus its ownership mirrored that of the manor itself – the Gostwick family until 1731, then the Dukes of Marlborough until 1779, then the Dukes of Bedford until 1902. In November 1903 then Lords of the Manor, George and James Keeble, put the Willington Manor Estate properties in the village up for sale by auction. The sale particulars [X403/3] listed Manor Farm as Lot 11 and described the property thus:
Manor Farmhouse about 1900 [X535/1]
An Important Residential Property
BEING PART OF
WILLINGTON MANOR FARM
A Superior and Commodious RESIDENCE
known as the
Built in Brick and Tiled containing Entrance Hall, Spacious Drawing Room with Marble mantel, large Dining Room, Breakfast Room, Smoke Room, good Kitchen, Scullery, Beer and Coal Cellars, Dairy, Pantry, 7 Bedrooms, Attic, Bath Room with Hot and Cold Water supply &c.
Surrounding a Court Yard is a range of BRICK & TILED BUILDINGS including Nag Stable (3 Loose Boxes and Stall), Coach House and Harness Room, Brewhouse and Stock Place.
There are nicely arranged Gardens and Lawn, Kitchen Garden (walled in) with Greenhouse, Orchard &c.
It has a Southern aspect and a pleasant outlook. Willington Manor was the ancient Residence of Sir John Gostwick, Master of the Horse to King Henry VIII, and a portion of the House dates back to this time.
Together with TWO CLOSES OF PASTURE LAND on the west and South sides of the residence, one having a frontage to the Bedford Road, the whole containing
27 acres, 2 roods, 24 poles
The land was as follows:
- The house – 1 acre, 2 roods, 34 poles;
- The road at the back – 27 poles;
- The Walk – 33 poles;
- An orchard – 1 acre, 12 poles;
- Home Close (part) – 2 roods 11 poles;
- Home Close (part in Cople) – 13 acres, 3 roods, 31 poles;
- Part of the FrontPark in Cople – 3 roods;
- Part of the FrontPark in Willington – 9 acres, 36 poles.
Manor Farmhouse from the side about 1900 [X535/1]
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Willington, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Manor Farmhouse [DV1/H36/54] found it owned and occupied by Isaac Godber, who, presumably, had purchased it in 1903. The farm comprised seventy acres in Willington and Cople and the valuer commented: “House good and cannot be classed as a mere farm house. Buildings very good but for 400 acres and only about a quarter used”.
The farmhouse comprised three reception rooms, a kitchen, a scullery, a dairy, a pantry and an office. Upstairs lay seven bedrooms, a bathroom and an attic. A cellar lay outside as did two garages and a bicycle shed. The homestead comprised: nag stables used as a wood barn and two loose boxes; a packing shed; a mixing house; five piggeries; two hen houses; a pot store; a three bay implement shed; five hovels each of four bays; a barn with a loft over; another four bay hovel; two loose boxes; a cow house for sixteen beasts; another mixing house; a chaff house; a barn; a cow house used as stores; a straw barn; a stable used as a store; two more sets of two loose boxes; another chaff house; a nine horse stable and one standing; a harness room; a loose box; a four bay cart shed and an implement bay. North of the homestead lay a ten bay sheep hovel used as stores. The homestead was of brick and slate construction throughout.
In 1948 some of the farm buildings erected by the Duke of Bedford in 1850 were converted into bungalows [RDBP3/1034]. In 1985 a number of alterations took place at the Manor [PCWillington18/20-21] and in 1986 restoration work involved connecting the dining room with the old kitchen [PCWillington23].
In 1995 Willington Manor was put up for sale and the particulars [Z449/1/15] described the layout as follows. On the ground floor lay: an inner lobby measuring 11 feet 9 inches by 10 feet 2 inches; to the south-east the drawing room measuring 16 feet 3 inches by 16 feet); in the south-east and south-west the sitting room measuring 17 feet by 14 feet 5 inches; to the south-west the dining room measuring 17 feet 8 inches by 17 feet 10 inches; an inner lobby; an apple store; the boiler room; the kitchen measuring 16 feet 6 inches by 17 feet and a further kitchen annexe measuring 11 feet 11 inches by 7 feet 5 inches). On the first floor lay six bedrooms (two with en-suite bathrooms) and a separate bathroom. The carving in Bedroom 6 was described as: "believed to depict Sir John Gostwick and his wife or family, with delicate lettering "JG" in Tudor Scroll, and elegant carving incorporating Dolphins and Tudor Roses". Outside lay a brewhouse, a double garage, a trap house, lawned gardens, a raised pond with a dolphin fountain, a summerhouse, a small fish pond, a gardener's w. c. and the listed brick walls which lay around rear gardens, an orchard of apple, pear and plum trees, a small nuttery, a kitchen garden, a paved breakfast terrace and stable buildings.
Directories for the county were published every few years by a number of sources. the most notable are Kelly's Directory. Below is a short list of occupiers of Croots Farm as revealed by directories. Entries are not the beginning and end dates of tenure but the first and last time the name is noted in a directory:
- 1847 to 1864: John Purser;
- 1869: John and Henry Purser;
- 1877 to 1885: Henry Purser;
- 1890 to 1898: William Robinson;
- 1903: William Wallis Robinson;
- 1906 to 1910: William Douglas C. Knox;
- 1920 to 1940: Isaac Godber.
Manor Farmhouse about 1950 [X535/1]