Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Willington > Early Licensed Premises in Willington

Early Licensed Premises in Willington

Local historian Dorothy Jamieson notes that the manor court rolls for the 15th century include an entry in which a new brewer was accused of running a brothel and was evicted by the bailiff. The following early references to licensed premises in Willington come from the parish registers:

  • 1731 Henry son of Matthew & Mary Childs, alekeeper, baptised 21st October
  • 1732 Henry, son of Matthew & Mary Childs, alekeeper buried 8th November;
  • 1734 Matthew Childs, alekeeper buried 25th August;
  • 1734 Matthew, son of Matthew 7 Mary Childs, alekeeper, buried 15th October;
  • 1741 Mary wife of John Man, alekeeper, buried 30th September;
  • 1744 John Man, alekeeper, buried 8th June;
  • 1757 George Richards of Cople, victualler, widower, married Elizabeth Palmer