Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Northill > The Queens Head Public House Northill

The Queens Head Public House Northill

The site of The Queen's Head behind the former chapel in July 2007
The white building is the former Queen's Head - July 2007

The Queen's Head Public House: Sandy Lane, Northill

Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service does not have many records for this former beerhouse but it seems to have begun at some time between 1828 (it is not on the list of licensed alehouses for that year) and 1864 when it first appears in a directory (as John Tate beer seller, beerhouses not being named in directories). The countywide licensing register of 1876, which is not always accurate, gives the date of first licensing as 1861.

By 1876 the establishment was owned by Biggleswade brewers Wells and Company. In 1898 the brewery was purchased by Kent business man George Winch for his son Edward Bluett Winch and the name of the company changed to Wells and Winch Limited.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Northill was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the Queen’s Head [DV1/C/42] noted that the premises was in good repair and contained, on the ground floor: a tap room; a parlour; a kitchen and scullery and a cellar. On the first floor were three bedrooms. Outside were a public earth closet, private earth closet, urinal and stable for three horses.Trade was not bad at 1½ barrels per week and 3 dozen bottles per week. Takings were £7 per week. The valuer concluded by recording: "Tenant is pensioned London policeman".

On 6th March 1957 the beerhouse became a fully licensed public house. However, the Queen’s Head closed on 19th July 1960 and was sold. It is now a private house.

References:

  • HF143/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1872-1873;
  • HF143/2: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1874-1877;
  • HF143/3: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1878-1881;
  • HF143/4: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1882-1890;
  • HF143/5: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1891-1900;
  • GK1/36: three sales catalogues bound together: Wells & Company of Biggleswade 1898; Henlow Brewery 1899; Baldock Brewery Limited 1903;
  • PSBW8/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1903-1915;
  • HF143/6: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1900-1914;
  • Z1039/34/1: Schedule of deeds of Wells and Winch properties: 1938;
  • PSBW8/2: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1956-1972.  

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1864-1876: John Tate;
1876-1883: George Davies;
1883-1885: James Tate;
1885-1888: William Lambert;
1888-1891: George Atkins;
1891-1902: Harry Course;
1902-1920: Sidney Walter Ebbs;
1927: D. A. Elden
1940: Alfred Charles Clews;
1957-1960: Reginald James Doble;
1960: Orlando Edward Bosson
Public house closed 19th July 1960.