Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Northill > 19 Ickwell Road Northill

19 Ickwell Road Northill

19 Ickwell Road April 2009
19 Ickwell Road April 2009

In 1910 a thorough rating valuation was carried out across England as part of David Lloyd-George’s pioneering 1909 budget. The survey was so thorough it was known colloquially as the Domesday Survey. The results show that all the older buildings in Northill were owned by John Edmund Audley Harvey, who, though he lived in London, was Lord of the Manor of Northill as well as Lord of the Manor of Ickwell and owner of Ickwell Bury. These older buildings may have been built by a former Lord of the Manor or bought by the Manor at a later stage – detailed research of the Harvey [HY] archive would be needed to try to establish this in each case, unless the current owners still have the deeds to the properties concerned and so can research the history for themselves.

19 Ickwell Road as listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated this pair of cottages to the early 19th century. The building is unusual in Bedfordshire as it is of timber framed construction with weatherboarding and a clay tile roof over two storeys. Brick lean-to additions lie to the rear.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Northill was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 19 Ickwell Road [DV1/C42/133-134] found the wood and tiled structure owned by F. Mantle. Clearly the estate had sold the two semi-detached properties since 1910, either by auction or by private treaty.

The building was divided into two tenements, the northern one in the occupation of Miss Catherine Phillips who paid rent of £9 per annum, set in 1924 (it had been £5 before the Great War). Her accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above. A washhouse and earth closet stood outside and water came from an outside tap. The valuer commented: “Small garden at back and in field”.

The southern portion was occupied by Joseph Norman, who was listed as tenant in 1910. He paid rent of fifteen shillings per month. His accommodation was the same as next door.