Home Close Colmworth
Home Close August 2009
Home Close was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The building dates from the 18th century. It is constructed of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame with a thatched roof. The house comprises four bays and one storey with attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Colmworth, like most of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting Home Close discovered that it was then two dwellings - one to the west [DV1/C180/53] and one to the east [DV1/C180/55] - both were owned by a Miss Joyce of Ampthill.
The western portion was occupied by G. Pell, who paid £6/5/- per annum rent. The dwelling comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms in the attics above and had just over a quarter of an acre of land with it. The valuer commented: "Thatched, shedding - no value". Pell also leased an arable field of just over an acre adjoining his property to the north and this was included in the rent for the house.
The eastern portion, standing in just over an eighth of an acre, was leased by A. Colgrave at £5 per annum rent - the valuer notes "including large garden, which may indicate that Colgrave leased some of the much larger garden belonging to the neighbouring dwelling. Colgrave's house also comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms in the attics.