The Thatched Cottage Billington
The Thatched Cottage December 2008
This building was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest, on 26th September 1980. This imposing cottage, standing up on a bank, is 17th century and timber-framed, with whitewashed brick nogging. The building comprises one storey with attics beneath a thatched roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Billington, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the building [DV1/C97-98] found that it was then two dwellings, both owned by Lady Cooper.
The left-hand side was occupied by J. Andrews, whose rent was not noted. Accommodation comprised a living room and a kitchen with two bedrooms above. A brick and tiled coal shed and earth closet stood outside. The valuer noted: “fetch water from bottom of hill”.
The right –hand side was in the occupation of F. Pratt who worked for Lady Cooper. He has a living room, a kitchen, a small scullery and a pantry. Again there were two bedrooms upstairs. He, too, had a brick and tiled coal shed and earth closet.
The Thatched Cottage from beneath December 2008