The Gables Billington
The Gables December 2008
This building was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest, on 26th September 1980. It is 17th century but had been altered. It is built of whitewashed brick and the first floor is partly timber -framed. The house has two storeys and an old clay tile roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Billington, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting The Gables [DV1/C19/82-83] found that it had been two dwellings, but both owner-occupied by Miss H. Stevens.
The left-hand side was then called Ivy Cottage. Downstairs accommodation comprised a kitchen, scullery and living room. There were two bedrooms upstairs. The valuer noted “Less for condition”. A later hand has annotated the owner-occupier’s name which, unfortunately, is unreadable! Accommodation has been amended to a hall, a small room, a living room, kitchen and scullery, with two bedrooms, a box room and a bathroom.
The right-hand property had three rooms downstairs and three above. The valuer noted: “Only one room used – one bedroom up. Rest used hens – nearly derelict. Whole place … in filthy condition”.
The Gables through the gate December 2008