The Cock Public House Billington
Hilltop Cottage December 2008
The Cock Inn occupied the building now known as Hilltop Cottage. The first reference to the Cock in documents held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service is in 1788 when William Coleman devised the Cock in his will (proved that same year) to his nephew Thomas Coleman. Allis Humble was the occupier [RY663].
The earliest countywide licensing registers held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service are those for 1822 to 1828 [CLP13] and the Cock is listed in each of these. Sadly, apart from entries in directories and licensing registers the service has nothing else on the inn. This is because it was owned by out-county individuals and institutions. Charles Meacher of Watford [Hertfordshire] was owner in 1876 and leased it to Ivinghoe [Buckinghamshire] brewers Roberts and Wilson, who, by 1891, had bought the property.
The countywide licensing register of 1903 states that the Cock was "kept clean but repairs needed". It was 946 yards from the nearest licensed premises, The Greyhound and had two front doors and one back door. The inn closed on 25th April 1924. The building is now a private house.
The Cock Inn shown on a map of 1880
Licensees: Note that this is not a complete list; italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known
- 1788: Allis Humble;
- 1822-1839: Thomas Fountain;
- 1847: Margaret Fountain;
- 1851-1864: Maria Fountain;
- 1869-1898: John Pratt;
- William Windmill: 1898-1922;
- Walter George Jordan: 1922-1923;
- Edward James Couves: 1923-1924
Inn closed 25th April 1924
- RY663: devised in the will of William Coleman to his nephew Thomas Coleman: 1788;
- CLP13: Register of alehouse licences: 1822 - 1828;
- PSLB4/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Leighton Buzzard Petty Sessional Division: c.1860s-1949;
- PSLB4/2: Registerof Alehouse Licences - Leighton Buzzard Petty Sessional Division: 1922-1948;
- PCBillington37/48: pictures of Billington: 2008