Manor Cottages Billington
1 and 2 Manor Cottages January 2009
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Billington, like most of the county was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting the two cottages found that they were owned, as the name implies, by Major Steddall of Billington Manor.
Number 1 was occupied by A. W. Moores whose rent was “in wages” so he obviously worked for Major Stedall. Number 2 was in the occupation of H. Murgett who was also the major’s employee.
Both dwellings comprised a scullery, kitchen and living room downstairs with three bedrooms above. Outside were a brick and tiled coal shed and a brick and slate earth closet. The valuer commented: “Very, very good, Estate type”.