Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Billington > Listed Buildings in Billington

Listed Buildings in Billington

There are eight listed buildings in Billington. Two of them, the church and the former Cock Inn (now Hilltop Cottage), are dealt with elsewhere. This section looks briefly at the other six. Sadly, both the notebook and the map are missing for the 1925 Rating and Valuation Act survey for Billington. This was a detailed survey of all buildings and land in the country to determine the rateable value and was usually done in Bedfordshire parishes in 1927. There are also no sales particulars for any of these properties held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service, making any detailed descriptions or histories impossible. Thus, for each of the properties in this section the only details which can be given are the ones from the Heritage Gateway site for Billington giving the Listed Building description.

 Hilltop Farm January 2009
Hilltop Farm January 2009

Hilltop Farmhouse: Little Hill

This building was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest, on 3rd February 1967. It is 17th century and is constructed of brick nog (nogging being a technique whereby a timber frame is infilled to one width thickness of bricks), has a thatched roof and comprises two storeys.

Old Grovebury Manor Farmhouse January 2009
Old Grovebury Manor Farmhouse January 2009

Old Grovebury Manor Farmhouse: Little Hill

This building, opposite Hilltop Farm, was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest, on 3rd February 1967. It is 16th century and has a timber framed construction with modern roughcast infill. It has two storeys, the first storey overhanging the ground floor. The roof is of modern tiles.

The Gables through the gate December 2008
The Gables through the gate December 2008

The Gables: Gaddesden Turn

This building was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest, on 26th September 1980. It is 17th century but had been altered. It is built of whitewashed brick and the first floor is partly timber -framed. The house has two storeys and an old clay tile roof.

The Orchards December 2008
The Orchards December 2008

The Orchards: Gaddesden Turn

This building was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest, on 26th September 1980. It is late 17th or early 18th century and built of brick, with some darker headers at the right hand, the right hand gable end and centre part of front elevation being brick nogged around a timber frame. The house has two storeys and an old tile roof. A 19th century extension of one bay has a chimney stack at the left hand side.

The Thatched Cottage December 2008
The Thatched Cottage December 2008

The Thatched Cottage: Leighton Road

This building was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest, on 26th September 1980. This imposing cottage, standing up on a bank, is 17th century and timber-framed, with whitewashed brick nogging. The building comprises one storey with attics beneath a thatched roof.

Walker's Farm December 2008
Walker's Farm December 2008

Walker's Farm: Leighton Road

This building was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest, on 26th September 1980. It is late 16th century and is timber-framed with red brick infill and comprises two storeys and attics. The roof is modern as is the rear extension, the left hand wing having been rebuilt in the 18th century.